Author Topic: Timmons  (Read 3413 times)

Furdad08

Timmons
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »
surprised no one has mentioned the condition of Timmons during the woofy game.  the floor was constantly being wiped for condensation. maybe its time to start thinking about renovations. Ive heard the new football building is going to be so big that timmons will have to be torn down anyway to make room for it

TimmonsRenovations2

Offline hawg

• Liked: 1141
  • Grand Panjandrum
Re: Timmons
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 07:31:08 PM »
The floor was being wiped because sweaty uniforms had made contact with it.  It is true that we need better wipe-up equipment/personnel.
Liberals who celebrate tolerance of other views always seem amazed that there are other views.   - William F. Buckley
At some point, the government will run out of money. - Barach Obama, August 22, 2013

Offline apaladin

• Liked: 758
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »
surprised no one has mentioned the condition of Timmons during the woofy game.  the floor was constantly being wiped for condensation. maybe its time to start thinking about renovations. Ive heard the new football building is going to be so big that timmons will have to be torn down anyway to make room for it

TimmonsRenovations2

Probably because of the ice underneath for the hockey team.
"Don't worry so much about the destination, enjoy the journey"

Offline Pvt. Hudson

• Liked: 193
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »
We missed our chance to get rid of Timmons.  The wrecking crew that took down the pressbox could have torn down Timmons by "mistake."
"Game over, man!"

Offline johnb

• Liked: 472
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:50:56 AM »
The floor was being wiped because sweaty uniforms had made contact with it.  It is true that we need better wipe-up equipment/personnel.

Agree.
Not sure why we don't have some towels handy underneath the backboards.

Funny to see multiple players  and refs doing the Teaberry Shuffle  or bad moonwalks to clean up the court.
"I didn't get up to 1,000 plus posts without stating some really stupid stuff"

I am nobody,Nobody is perfect, Therefore I am perfect.

Offline Flagman

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1326
  • The Original
    • Furman Paladins
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:08 AM »
We have a kid stationed under the basket with a towel. He seems poorly trained for the job and also doesn't seem to care. He shows as much enthusiasm as our student section.
Anyone who says money can't buy happiness, never had season tickets.

Offline johnb

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:07:18 AM »
We have a kid stationed under the basket with a towel. He seems poorly trained for the job and also doesn't seem to care. He shows as much enthusiasm as our student section.

Actually this season..some games we haven't had a kid or a towel.

Offline Retired Teach

• Liked: 79
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
Not sure in this day and time, we should have a kid doing the wipe up.  Gloves?

Offline Rolf Oxford

• Liked: 66
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:28:18 AM »

Good idea.  Losing is a disease, as contagious as syphillis.

Offline johnb

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 04:37:27 AM »

Good idea.  Losing is a disease, as contagious as syphillis.

I should have been a farmer.  :D

Offline sidbreamstache

• Liked: 28
    • Dins
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 05:10:32 AM »
Another brilliant find from our scouting system. Geniuses.

Offline Rolf Oxford

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:37:18 AM »
Red, it took me sixteen years to get here. You play me, and I'll give ya the best I got.

Offline johnb

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:36:58 AM »
I can't spell it but it sure eats good

Offline FU69

• Liked: 62
  • Paladin Club since 1969
    • FURMAN
    • CHURCH.EVANS
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
maybe they could entice a couple of students to be the towel operators by offering free admissions and all the food you can eat for free at basketball games?

oh, wait.... thats what it is now..

why we dont have a thousand students at each game both mens and womens is beyond me. if that had been in my time I would have eaten everything in site and stuff my shirt with all the burgers and pizaa I could sneak out the door! my my how times have changed
They have so many choices now. When I was there, it was pretty much dining hall or a very limited choice and slow process in the small "PalaDen." Of course "free" doesn't matter too much to most of the wealthy students at FU today.
It's liberty and justice for all -- not some

Offline Flagman

• Global Moderator
  • The Original
    • Furman Paladins
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
I really couldn't care less about anything that anyone affiliated with (f)elon thinks about our arena.

Envy is a terrible thing.

Offline Rolf Oxford

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
It stings only because it's true. That's exactly what FU did.

Offline hawg

• Liked: 1141
  • Grand Panjandrum
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
Nope.  There is a difference between being "stung" and just not giving a rat's ass about a (f)elon opinion.
Liberals who celebrate tolerance of other views always seem amazed that there are other views.   - William F. Buckley
At some point, the government will run out of money. - Barach Obama, August 22, 2013

Offline silentbob

• Liked: 1033
    • Local Fatty
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
Nope.  There is a difference between being "stung" and just not giving a rat's ass about a (f)elon opinion.

For the record, I do not give a poop about anyone's opinion of Timmons. Not just a Phoenix talking head.

Welcome to the UFFP. Please don't feed the attention whores.

Offline CrackersNeck86

• Liked: 295
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
And Elon's "new and improved" arena is something special?  Reminds me of a slightly oversized sardine can that pays homage to their not-to-distant punky NAIA past.  Until they improved the lighting there a couple of years ago, players needed miner's helmets to see each other and the backboard. 

Offline Rolf Oxford

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 12:26:46 AM »
comments from the Elon broadcaster. if the Elon guy says this imagine that

Matt Krause@[/s]Voiceinthebox
Timmons Arena at Furman is probably the weirdest athletic venue i've ever been to-like they got lazy and couldn't build a theater and arena

Warehouse and arena would be more accurate, actually.

Offline bj93

• Liked: 43
    • Furman
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haven't had a coach either.

Offline Dinman31

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
still, there are some not so hard things that could be done with a little funding to make Timmons more basketball friendly.
video board or center court video board
wider and taller end zone seating (start the seating closer to the court and extend all the way to the back wall)  and getting rid of the end court curtains
moving the student section to these end zone seats so they are more visible and can be more distractive (get them out from the dark cave they currently sit in)
Just these 3 things would make Timmons more basketball friendly

Can't extend the endzone seats due to firecode.

Offline mox94

• Liked: 228
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
End zone seating is of little consequence right now. Maybe filling the seats on either sideline, at least to 75%, should be a priority. Even if the could move stands closer to the baskets under the goal, there are not enough students there to make a difference. And if they were there, just how enthusiastic is anyone to annoy a free throw shooter when down twenty. Yea, Timmons is a dump, and was a horrible idea, but FU has a lot worse problems than Timmons.

Offline Rolf Oxford

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »
For the record, I do not give a poop about anyone's opinion of Timmons. Not just a Phoenix talking head.

Bringing the heat!!! 

'"...give a poop...'"?  Seriously? Do you kiss your children with that mouth?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you're part of the 'ice cream sandwich' crowd: As long as the cost of a ticket is less that the cost of all the 'free' fast food crap you can shove in your face over 2 halves of a bad highschool-esque basketball game, then you're satisfied.

Furman BB has really hit bottom on many levels.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:26:03 PM by Rolf Oxford »

Offline saltyshaker

• Liked: 270
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »

[/quote]

Haven't had a coach either.
[/quote]maybe we could get a citadel or clemson grad to wipe the floor.

Offline Flagman

• Global Moderator
  • The Original
    • Furman Paladins
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 02:37:19 PM »
Give it a rest.

Offline johnb

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 04:59:13 AM »
Timmons is certainly not one of the top 5 problems with our basketball situation.

Offline Rolf Oxford

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
Timmons greatly affects recruiting. The ability to recruit greatly affects the calibre of coach who will take the job.  The calibre of coach who take the job is the most important factor in determining whether the program will be successful.  By the power of deductive reasoning (and the mighty Isis) Timmons therefore greatly affects whether the program will be successful.

Ahh, the benefits of a classical education, or some approximation of one (and being planted in front of the tv in the middle to late 70's).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:55:53 AM by Rolf Oxford »

Offline FUKA61

• Liked: 101
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »
I do not expect to change the opinions of the posters who are extremely negative about Timmons.  However, I am going to give a little background about the building of Timmons. First, I have to say I was there on the night Timmons opened and it was disappointing.  I have been back (live in the Atlanta area) and the improvements made four or five years ago made it much better in my opinion.

Back in the early nineties FU  and the SC Baptist were in a duel that went on for several years. Fortunately for FU we were able to get rid of the Baptist control but lost the ( 1.5 million I think but it may have been 2 million a year) unrestricted annual gift from them. FU at that time had a very small endowment and much of what was being given to FU annually was restricted gifts.

Unfortunately, they built Bilo and knocked down the brown box.  Although, most games we were filling up a third of the seats  or less but it worked.  However, the Bilo with15,000 seats would have been a disaster  and the amount that we would have to pay for each use would not work financially.

That meant that we played two years (I think it was two) in the PAC while trying to raise funds for a venue.  Because of the back and forth fight with the Baptist convention enrollment at Furman had dropped to 2,100--2,200 range which put extreme financial pressure on the University. The Timmons family made a lead gift ( I think it was 6 million) and an aggressive fundraising campaign was launched. Although there were many alumni and friends of FU who dug deep (I remember one couple who had a 6-7 year old Chevrolet and had been saving money to buy a new one----they gave that money for the campaign) but unfortunately it was not enough.  Therefore, FU had to go to the bankers to try for a loan for the difference.  The only way the banks would agree to a loan was for FU agree to a multi function venue.    Now some will say that there are other multi function venues that are better and they may be right.  However, we got what was built and fortunately improved it some years ago.

I would also point out that prior to Timmons the football team locker rooms and coaches offices were in Alley gym and they were extremely substandar by even most class A high schools.   This was a huge move up for the football program and other sports too.

Offline Flagman

• Global Moderator
  • The Original
    • Furman Paladins
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:46 AM »
Thank you 61. I, for one, would like to see an end to the discussions about the inadequacies of Timmons.  It is what it is, isn't likely to be replaced anytime in the near future.  We can make the best of it, however.  Filling it up would be the first step.  Filling it up, at least for basketball, has a pre-requiste condition that hopefully will be met in a few weeks.